Thursday, October 11, 2007

I Watch TV

It's not a lie. I do in fact watch TV. A lot of it. I'm not ashamed. At this point, it's a badge of honor. My vast amount of useless knowledge has to come from somewhere, right? And it's not like I'm a shut in and that's all I do. I read too! Apparently I also write.

So from time to time I'm going to write about what I'm currently watching on TV. Again, there's a lot. But I'll pick and choose.

There hasn't been all that much in the crop of new shows that have caught my eye. I probably would have watched "Chuck," except I was so beaten over the head with ads for it that I was completely turned off. Aaron informed me that it was a good thing I'm not a football fan, because when "House" was about to come on a few years ago, all sports fans were apparently inundated with the same ad for my favorite TV doctor. I'm not sure why the ad people think this is a good strategy, but I guess it works since I read this morning that "Chuck" was picked up by the network.

The only two shows that even seemed remotely interesting to me were "Pushing Daisies" and "Dirty Sexy Money." "Pushing Daisies" was too colorful for me not to check out. The first episode, or the "Pie-lette" as it was so cleverly called, was fun. It's the story of a man who discovered as a child that he had an interesting gift-he could bring the dead back to life with one touch. There are several caveats, however (as there always are). They can only stay alive for one minute, or someone else has to die to take their place. And a second touch will kill them again, forever. It's very quirky-in fact, my first thought when watching it was that this was "Six Feet Under" on crack. My concern for this show is that it might be too cutesy for its own good, and the shtick might wear thin quickly. But I think I'll stick it out for a couple more episodes, if for no other reason that apparently Paul Reubens is going to be a guest star at some point.

"Dirty Sexy Money" was an instant draw based on the presence of both Peter Krause and Donald Sutherland. After loving Michael C. Hall as "Dexter" (one of my new favorites as well), I figured I should see what the other Fisher brother was up to. "Dirty Sexy Money" is a throwback to the nighttime soaps my parents used to watch: "Dynasty," "Dallas," etc. It's trashy, the performances are over the top, and I love it. I'd say my only issue is that I've been supremely spoiled by "Arrested Development." I'm comparing all of the characters to the Bluths. Two completely different shows, that's for sure.

So there you go, the first installment of what I'm sure will be a long running feature here at Binky the Doormat. I'm Jen, I Watch TV, and I'm proud of it.

No comments: